Palccoyo Rainbow Mountain Full Day Tour
The Palccoyo Mountain is known as the first cousin of the famous Seven Colors Mountain. Like Vinicunca, this mountain has a rainbow-like color. An extraordinary geological process aligned the different strata of the earth in multicolored layers creating a unique effect. On this tour, you will be able to appreciate this geological wonder, as well as other destinations that will make this trip an unforgettable experience.
This mountain range is formed by three mountains of green, ocher, blue, white, and yellow colors that rest in complete solitude. If you are looking for a less crowded tour, visiting Palcoyo is a good alternative, since this place is visited by few travelers every day.
In addition, another advantage of visiting this majestic mountain is that the hike is very gentle. Getting to Palccoyo Cusco only requires an hour’s hike with no inclines. For this reason, this tour is presented as a less demanding and friendly option for those who are not used to long walks.
During the tour to Palcoyo, you will observe a diversity of colors that change as you go along the way. This Rainbow Mountain is composed of layers of grained rock that acquire this pigmentation due to the presence of various minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium, and others accumulated over millions of years. The best time to visit this destination is between April and October when the rains have stopped and the weather is mostly sunny so you can see Palcoyo Mountain very clearly.
What to expect from this experience?
We will leave at 04:30 hrs. from our meeting point at the Plaza de Armas where we will be picked up by professional mobility to go to our destination.
We will start the two-and-a-half-hour tour to Checacupe, where we will see the evolutionary process of the road system over time through three colonial bridges: the Inca Bridge, the Colonial Bridge, and the Republican Bridge.
Once the visit to this archaeological center is finished, we will continue with the tour for another hour and a half until we reach the Palccoyo Rainbow Mountain Range, located at 4,900 meters above sea level. Upon reaching this point, we will begin the hike for another 40 minutes. In this stretch, we will be able to appreciate the valleys, the eroded glaciers, and the brightly colored Permian formations. We will also observe the communities and farmers that live in the higher areas, as well as a large number of animals such as alpacas, llamas, and sheep.
Another important point that we will be able to observe will be the Forest of Stones (Ccacca Loma and the Red Mountain). Also, the circuit of the Four Lagoons, where we will appreciate different lakes like the Acopia, the Pomacanchis, the Posposqo Cocha, and the Misky Cocha. In addition, the variety of birds and the impressive scenery will leave more than one astonished.
After this enriching tour and getting to know the Palccoyo Mountain Range, we will stop in the town of Cusipata to enjoy a buffet lunch. After our sharing, we will start our way back to Cusco. The tour will end at approximately 17:00 hrs. in the Plaza Regocijo, in the center of Cusco.
What does this tour include?
What is not included in this tour?
- To reserve this excursion a minimum of 24 hours in advance is required.
- Shared service: if the minimum group size is not reached, the reservation is subject to change of date or cancellation.
- A minimum of 2 participants is required for the private service.
- The excursion is conducted in two languages: English and Spanish.
- A good physical condition is required to take this itinerary.
- Carry a light backpack with a change of clothes for the entire trip. You should be prepared for the various temperature changes in the area.
- Bring rain gear (jacket and pants) or a raincoat.
- Plastic raincoats can be purchased in Cusco for approximately $1.
- Sturdy footwear is necessary, waterproof trekking boots are recommended. Extra socks are a must.
- Camera and batteries (batteries are consumed more quickly under cold conditions).
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun, rain, and cold.
- After-sun cream or moisturizer for face and body.
- Toilet paper, inside and outside the luggage.
- Snacks: cookies, energy bars, chocolates, fruit, granola, etc.
- Non-disposable water bottle (Nalgene type) and water for the first morning.
- We suggest you bring water sterilization tablets in case you collect water from the streams.
- Your medical kit with any special medication you may need such as Sorochi Pills, blister protection creams, among others.
- Bring extra money in local currency preferably in small denominations and coins.
Frequently Asked Questions
To make the reservation we need the following information:
Once the payment is done you must send us to our email (email@example.com) the copy of your passports or foreign card, with this information we will send you the confirmation of the itinerary and the purchase invoice.
You must indicate the date of travel and the number of people to the email firstname.lastname@example.org since our website does not give you the option to choose the date of travel.
You must contact us one day before to re-confirm your participation.
We recommend you to book the tour in advance since we have 2 seasons (high and low), which differ between the amount of tourists we operate. For this reason, it is better to book in advance so as not to have any unexpected issues related to the availability of the tours.
Our most in-demand holidays
- Holy Week: From April 07th to 11th.
- Inti Raymi: From June 20 to 25.
- Independence Day: From July 28th to July 31st.
- All Saints Day: From November 01st to 04th
- Christmas and New Year: From December 23, 2018 to January 01.
Some of our travelers opinions 🙂