Humantay Lake (Day Trip)
The Humantay Lagoon is one of the most visited natural attractions in Peru. The beauty of this destination makes it a favorite travel experience for many travelers from all over the world. The turquoise color of its waters accompanied by the imposing Salkantay snow-capped mountain makes this destination a unique tourist jewel.
Since Inca times, this lagoon was worshiped by the Andean communities. It is also considered the third most popular tourist attraction in Cusco, after Machu Picchu and the Seven Colors Mountain.
The snow-capped Salkantay is part of the Vilcabamba mountain range and gives rise to the formation of this incredible lagoon, which is fed by the glaciers of the mountain. This lagoon is located in the province of Anta and represents a perfect alternative for those travelers who wish to enjoy nature and the landscape at the foot of a snow-capped mountain.
The best time of the year to visit this natural wonder is between May and October. During this time, the weather will be radiant and you can enjoy the sun’s rays reflecting on the turquoise waters. A true spectacle for the eyes of those who appreciate it.
The road to the Humantay Lagoon begins in the town of Soraypampa, from there, you will undertake a walk of about an hour and a half. Along the way, you will be able to see the entire panorama of snow-capped mountains and the great diversity of flora and fauna. The hike to the natural site is not difficult, you just need to acclimatize yourself to the climate of the region. We assure you that the effort will have a wonderful reward once you arrive at your destination.
What to expect from this experience?
Cusco – Soraypampa – Laguna Humantay Full Day – Cusco.
We will pick you up from your different hotels between 03:30 and 04:00 am, and then continue our journey to the town of Mollepata, where we will enjoy a typical breakfast of the area.
After breakfast, we will return to our bus to continue the incredible tour to the Humantay lagoon to observe the beautiful landscapes and gorges on the way to Soraypampa, where our hike will begin.
Soraypampa: our guide will give us enough time to get our equipment ready, such as walking sticks, water, personal backpacks, etc.
We will begin our hike to the Humantay lagoon at an altitude of 4,250 meters above sea level. Our ascent lasts about an hour and a half until we reach the Humantay Lagoon.
When you arrive to this beautiful lagoon, you will have all the necessary time to enjoy the natural beauty that surrounds it, take pictures, videos and also recharge yourself with the energy that the Salkantay snow-capped mountain has.
After all this beautiful adventure, we will return to where our bus left us in Soraypampa.
We will continue the trip and we will go to Mollepata where we will enjoy our lunch and after that we will return to Cusco, arriving to the city at 18:30 hrs approx.
What does this tour include?
Does not include:
- You can reserve this tour up to 12 hours in advance.
- We offer group outings and private services.
- The tour is conducted in two languages: English and Spanish.
- Level of demand: A high level of physical fitness and a good state of health are required.
- Resistant footwear, we recommend waterproof boots for trekking.
- Warm clothing, including jacket, fleece, gloves, scarf and hat. Thermal clothing is also recommended.
- Hat or cap to protect from the sun, rain and cold.
- Sunscreen and/or moisturizer for face and body.
- Water and snacks: energy bars, chocolates, fruit, granola or cookies.
- Your own medical kit with any special medications you may need such as Sorochi Pills and blister protection.
- Cash in local currency, preferably low denomination bills and coins.
Frequently asked questions:
TO MAKE THE TOUR RESERVATION, WE NEED YOU TO SEND US THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
- Once the payment is done, you must send us to our e-mail email@example.com the copy of your passports or foreigner card, so we can send you the confirmation and the invoice.
- You must indicate the date of travel and the number of people to the email firstname.lastname@example.org, since our website does not give you the option to choose the date of travel.
- You must contact us one day before your Humantay Lake Tour to re-confirm your participation.
We recommend you to book the tour in advance since we have 2 seasons (high and low), which differ between the amount of tourists we operate. For this reason, it is best to book in advance to avoid any unforeseen events related to the availability of the tours.
Our most in-demand holidays
- Holy Week: From April 07th to 11th.
- Inti Raymi: From June 20 to 25.
- Independence Day: From July 28th to July 31st.
- All Saints Day: From November 01st to 04th
- Christmas and New Year: From December 23, 2018, to January 01.