Colca Canyon 2 Day Trek
Day 1: Colca Trek Arequipa:
3:00 hrs. Pick Up from hotel
The hotel will be picked up as long as it is in the center of the city, otherwise, we will meet at the meeting point: Plaza de Armas de Arequipa.
Cabanaconde and breakfast in Chivay
Going to Cabanaconde we will stop in Chivay for breakfast. When we arrive at the town of Cabanaconde (3,300 m.a.s.l.) we will begin the descent to the base of the Colca Canyon.
Lunch in San Juan de Chuccho, Cosnihua, Malata.
We will arrive at the town of San Juan de Chuccho to have lunch and take a break to continue to the town of Cosnihua and then the town of Malata.
We will begin to descend to Sangalle after 6 to 7 hours of walking, to enjoy the heated pools in the mountains of the Colca Canyon, we will have dinner and sleep to start day 2.
Day 2: Sangalle – Cabanaconde – Chivay
4:30 hrs. Start of Day 2. Colca Trek Arequipa.
At 4:30 we will start a 3-hour ascent hike to return to Cabanaconde and we will take a transport to visit the Cruz del Cóndor, here you can appreciate the depth of the Colca Canyon and if we are lucky we can appreciate the flight of the condors.
We will return to Chivay where if you wish you can bathe in the Calera hot springs (optional) or you can walk around the city where we will have lunch and end our Colca Trek 2 Days.
18:oo hrs. Return to Arequipa
What does this tour includes?
Does not include:
- Group shared service.
- Do not hesitate to write to our WhatsApp in case you want private or family service
- The tour is conducted in two languages: English and Spanish.
- The pick-ups from the hotel are made when they are in the city center.
- If your hotel or Airibnb is not in the historic center, we will coordinate a meeting point.
- Durable footwear for trekking
- Warm clothing, including a jacket, fleeces, gloves, a scarf and a hat.
- Thermal clothing is also recommended depending on the climate of Arequipa
- Hat or cap to protect yourself from the sun, rain and cold.
- Sunscreen and/or moisturizer for the face and body.
- Water and snacks: energy bars, chocolates, fruit, granola or cookies.
- Your own medical kit with any special medications you may need.
- Cash in national currency, preferably small bills and coins.
- Walking sticks (recommended)
Frequent Asked Questions
In general, from January to December, Arequipa has a very pleasant climate. Arequipa has an arid climate, the rains are more constant between December and March and it tends to be much warmer between September and October, reaching 20°C. But on average its climate tends to be 16 °C, in the coldest months it is from January to March.
The difference between the Arequipa Colca Canyon Trek and th Tour is that most of the journey is done by bus and you only get off at the viewpoints. In addition, isit is more recommended for all those travelers who do not have the physical conditions or who simply want to recover the Colca Canyon in one day.
Yes, there is also the 3-Day Trek,, which is for people who want to appreciate more of the views and do the trek without rushing. The difference is that in the 3-day Trek, the second day only reaches the Sangalle Oasis. The final day on both treks is the same.
It’s recommended to travel between April and November to avoid the rains and also because the weather tends to be more temperate, especially if you want to go to the beaches.
But also, August is the best month to travel to Arequipa, since the 15th is the anniversary of the city, making various events, parades, dances, fairs and other traditions take place.
Due to the semi-arid and temperate climate that Arequipa has, it has two types of seasons: humid (December to March) and dry (April to November), it’s recommended to travel in the dry season, where should you take:
- Light clothing
- Comfortable shoes like slippers
- Sun block
- Personal documents always
For the wet season, it is recommended:
- Warm clothes
- Rain poncho
- Rain hat or cap
- Comfortable shoes like slippers